Sep 26, 2023
Total minimum number of credits required for a Baccalaureate of Arts Degree in Physics - 123.
Total minimum number of credits required for a Baccalaureate of Arts Degree in Physics with a minor in Secondary Education - 124
Baccalaureate of Arts degree in Physics (BA in Physics) is designed to offer a track for all students who wish to combine a major in Physics with other career goals. Primary among them are those students who wish to become certified in Physics by the PA Department of Education to teach high school physics and other science courses. In addition, the program will support students who may wish to concentrate on careers in medicine, dentistry, or law.
Required Courses and Recommended Course Sequence
Total Credits: 123
*Required Core Course for BA in Physics Major.
^Can be substituted with CS 125 .
@Physics electives may be chosen from any advisor-approved mathematics, biology, chemistry, computer science, environmental science/engineering, electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering course numbered 200 or above.
Physics Major In Conjunction with the Secondary Education Major or Minor
Students interested in becoming secondary teachers in Physics should make an appointment with the chairperson of the Education Department or the Coordinator of the Secondary Education Program as early as possible in their course of study to plan their professional studies. These students will declare a major in Physics and as well as a major or minor in Secondary Education. The major in Secondary Education must be taken in conjunction with an approved major; it cannot stand alone as a major. Upon successful completion of the secondary education program, students may become certified in Pennsylvania to teach in grades 7-12 in their chosen field.
Students interested in pursuing either the major or the minor in Secondary Education should refer to the Education Department section of this bulletin for complete details of the curriculum and other degree requirements. Students should also consult carefully with their Education program and Physics program advisors in planning their course of studies.
Total credits required for Secondary Education minor - 40cr.
Total credits required for Secondary Education major - 47 cr.
Required Courses for the Major (*) or Minor in Secondary Education are as Follows:
*These additional courses required in order to complete the major in Secondary Education.
- All Teacher Education candidates must apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program in the sophomore or junior year.
- To be admitted into the Teacher Education Program, candidates must
- Attain a 3.0 GPA
- Complete 48 credits including six credits in both Mathematics and English
- Pass a test of basic skills
- Submit required clearances showing ‘no record’
- To remain in the Teacher Education Program, candidates must
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Adhere to the Code of Professionalism and Academic Honesty
- To be certified as a teacher in Pennsylvania in grades 7-12, candidates must
- Successfully complete all required Education courses, including student teaching
- Graduate with a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Pass the appropriate exit test(s) in their content area
- Apply for certification through the Pennsylvania Teacher Information Management System (TIMS).