May 18, 2024  
2023-2024 Graduate Bulletin 
2023-2024 Graduate Bulletin

Student Services

Housing and Dining

There are no housing facilities exclusively for graduate students on the Wilkes campus. Nor does the University provide accommodations for married couples or families. Graduate students are housed in University residence halls only on a space-available basis. Graduate students who are interested in living on campus should contact the Office of Residence Life to determine space availability.

Henry’s Cafeteria, located on the third floor of the Henry Student Center, is open to all members of the Wilkes community, and accepts cash, credit, dining/flex dollars, and meal plan ‘swipes.’

For casual dining, the first floor of the Henry Student Center contains two retail options: B&F and WhichWich. Starbucks at Colonel Gambini’s is located on the first floor of UCOM. For information on meal plans, graduate students should visit our website, contact the University’s Business Operations Office at, or visit the dining services offices on the third floor of the Henry Student Center.


The University’s bookstore facility, named Colonel Corner, is a partnership with Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, Inc. The Colonel Corner is located just inside the South Street entrance of the Henry Student Center.

A revamped and expanded space in the hub of student activity makes it a convenient and memorable location to serve our students, faculty and staff, offering proximity to classrooms and dining options, as well as providing a place to meet. The academic superstore is designed to meet the specific needs of students at Wilkes, with comprehensive physical and virtual textbook services, spirit wear, lounge areas and standard Barnes & Noble bookstore stock. For off-campus and online students, a full selection of textbooks, supplies and logo merchandise is available for purchase on the Barnes & Noble website.

Joseph Stager, Store Manager
(570) 408-3491

Career Services

The Office of Career Services is the liaison between the University and potential employers in business, industry, government, and educational institutions. Various services are offered to assist students at all stages of their career development. Students are encouraged to participate in this service by registering at The Center for Career Development and Internships, rear 236 S. River Street at the Student Center Gateway, or contact them by email at

Department of Public Safety

About the Department of Public Safety:

The University Police Department at Wilkes University is committed to providing a safe environment for students, faculty, staff and campus visitors. Maintaining a safe and secure campus takes commitment from both our office and the campus community, working together. Be aware of your surroundings. Watch out for yourself, and for others. Be alert for anything that may be suspicious. Trust your instincts, and never hesitate to call University Police for assistance. Our dedicated staff of patrol officers traverse the campus and its perimeter 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

All Wilkes University community members are encouraged to report all crimes and safety-related issues to University Police in a timely manner. Our non-emergency number is 570-408-4377 and the emergency number is 570-408-4999. You may also contact us by using our Wilkes Shield app, available in the App Store and Google Play (search Wilkes Shield).

The University Police Department prepares the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (ASFSR), to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act. This report is prepared in cooperation with local law enforcement agencies surrounding the campus and the University Police Department. The report is also made available on the University website at

Parking on Campus:

All Wilkes parking lots are regulated by specific locations designated for faculty/staff, commuters, residents, visitor, and disabled parking. All vehicles must be registered with the university to park on any campus lot. Parking permit regulations are in effect throughout the year during normal hours of business (7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), to include semester breaks.

Parking permit are not required Monday through Friday, from 4:00 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. and on weekends.

The Wilkes University parking system is a self-supporting service receiving no funds from the university budget or student fees. Itis, therefore, necessary to apply a system of user service charges to all vehicles operated on university property. Income derived from the sale of parking permits and from the collection of monetary penalties assessed under the parking regulations is used for the administration, maintenance and improvement of parking facilities.

University Police Officers will be sensitive to the special needs of disabled persons and will make every effort to provide for parking and assistance. For more information on disabled parking, please call 570-408-4233.

Repeated violation(s) of University parking policy may result in monetary citations and/or towing, revocation of campus parking privileges, and referral to the appropriate university authorities for disciplinary action.

Enrollment Status Policy

In determining enrollment status, Wilkes-University includes all credit courses offered through resident instruction and distance education. Credits earned by credit-by-exam or credit-by-portfolio, and courses enrolled as “audit” are excluded from the calculation. The reported enrollment status for the three enrollment periods (fall, spring and summer) is determined as follows:

Graduate (Masters, DNP, EDD)

Graduate students must maintain at least half time status to receive Federal Direct Stafford or Graduate PLUS Loans. Half time status for graduate programs is typically defined as 6 credits each semester based on the progression of the curriculum.

Graduate students enrolled in fewer than 6 credits who are working on a thesis or dissertation may be eligible for federal loans if one of the following special circumstances apply:

  1. After completing all required coursework, a master’s level student may be considered half-time while enrolled in a 3 credit hour thesis course. This half- time status may be maintained for two semesters.
  2. After entering candidacy status, a doctoral student may be considered full-time while enrolled in a 3 credit hour dissertation course. A doctoral candidate may maintain full-time status in this fashion until completion of the number of dissertation credit hours specified by their program and designated on the plan of study.

Graduate (PhD)

PhD students must maintain at least half time status to receive Federal Direct Stafford or Graduate PLUS Loans. Half time status for PhD students is defined as 3 credits each semester based on the progression of the curriculum.

Enrollment Chart:

Graduate (Masters, DNP, EDD)

Enrolled Credits Enrollment Status
9+ Full-Time
6 Half-Time
Less than 6 Less than Half-Time
(Refer to “Special Circumstances” for Exceptions)

Graduate (PHD)

Enrolled Credits Enrollment Status
6+ Full-Time
3 Half-Time
Less than 3 Less than Half-Time

Health Service

The Office of University Health Service maintains regular hours while the University is in session for the fall and spring semesters. A Nurse Practitioner and a Registered Nurse are available while Health Service is open, and a physician is available at specified hours during the week. Appropriate referrals are made as necessary to community physicians and hospitals. The Office of University Health Service does not provide clinic hours during the summer months. In times of escalating health care costs it is essential for students to have health insurance coverage.

Library Services

Contact: John Stachacz, Dean of the Library and Information Technology

Eugene S. Farley Library

The Eugene S. Farley Library, named in honor of the first president of Wilkes University, is located on the corner of South Franklin and West South Streets. It is one of the largest resource libraries in the region, with more than 150,000 volumes of print books, 210,000 electronic books and 85,000 full text online journals. This extensive array of materials can be accessed via 127 subject specific databases, as well as the Summon discovery tool. While students can access virtually the entire collection remotely, the Farley Library remains a popular destination for students to study, brainstorm or just socialize.

Library resources and services are available online 24/7 at  Off-campus users will need to log in using their Wilkes credentials to access full-text materials.

The Farley Library also houses the University Archives, the University Writing Center, the Information Technology Help Desk, four special collections rooms and a Smart classroom/auditorium.

The (basement level) Alden Learning Commons is available 24/7 during regular school hours via a Win swipe card and using the Franklin Street side entrance.

The (upper level) Library hours during the academic year are:

Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. to midnight.

Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Saturday: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Sunday: 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Telephone: (570) 408-4250.

Summer sessions and holiday hours, as well as any changes to the regular library schedule, are posted at the library entrance and on the library website.

Farley Library Policies

  1. Use your valid Wilkes University I.D. card to obtain library privileges. You are responsible for materials charged out on your identification card.
  2. A valid Wilkes I.D. also enables Wilkes University students to borrow books year-round at Misericordia University, Keystone College, King’s College, Luzerne County Community College, Marywood University and the University of Scranton.
  3. Books circulate for one month. Renewals may be made in person, by telephone, or online from the patron access area of the library catalog.  A book may be renewed once. DVDs circulate for three days (no renewal).
  4. Periodicals, print journals, reference materials, and microform materials do not circulate. Reference materials, periodicals, and journal articles in print and microfilm format may be photocopied in accordance with the provisions of the U.S. copyright law.
  5. The basement level (Alden Learning Commons) and the first floor are designated “talking floors.”  Patrons may converse in normal speaking levels. Patrons desiring more quiet study space should utilize the second and third floors.
  6. To provide an optimum environment for study on floors designated as quiet study (second and third floors), please keep all devices on silent and use headphones while in the library.
  7. Small food items and drinks are permitted throughout the library. 

Farley Library Services

  1. Students and faculty can request research assistance via the reference librarians. The Reference Department offers impromptu and scheduled appointments and patrons can request in-person, email, text, chat or Zoom reference meeting for research help. Zoom appointments are especially popular with Graduate students.
  2. Library Orientation: Group library orientation can be arranged for students upon request. Orientations will include a library tour and overview of the library website.­
  3. Bibliographic Instruction: Specific instruction in the use of library collections and reference tools is available for students upon request of the instructor.
  4. Interlibrary Loan: This service is provided for students, faculty, and staff to supplement research needs. Interlibrary loan requests are free and materials usually arrive within two working days. An ILLiad account is needed to use interlibrary loan, please inquire at the Reference Department for details.  Photocopy requests will be delivered to your ILLiad account, but books will arrive at the Farley Library Circulation Desk. Consider using your local public library’s interlibrary loan service if travel to Farley Library isn’t an option for books­.
  5. Media Services: Media staff will have audiovisual equipment needed for classroom usage delivered to sites on campus. At least a 24-hour notice is required. Videos and DVDs may be reserved one week in advance of the expected need. The Library Media Room (Room 002) is also available, on a first-come, first-served basis, for classes or events.
  6. Reserve Materials: Collateral course reading materials placed on reserve by faculty are maintained at the Circulation Desk.
  7. Photocopiers and scanners for printed materials and micro materials are available in the library. A color copier is located on the first floor and the lower level. Users are reminded to observe the restrictions placed on photocopying by the U.S. copyright law. The law and interpretive documents are available at the Circulation Desk.
  8. Student groups and clubs wishing to schedule activities or meeting spaces using library facilities are welcome to contact the library.


Music Collection

Darte Hall, on the corner of South River and West South Streets, houses a separate collection of music scores and recordings. For information about accessing materials housed in the music collection, call (570) 408-4420 or 1-800-WILKESU Ext 4420.

University Identification Cards

Wilkes University provides a photo identification card (University ID card) to all of its eligible employees and students; additionally, University approved contracted personnel will be issued a University ID card. The University ID card will be used to identify all persons affiliated and employed by the University in order to facilitate safety and security; allow the cardholder access to specific areas, services and resources; and provide other privileges as designated by the University and/or its departments. All persons affiliated with and employed by the University are required to carry their University ID card at all times.

The University ID card is intended to serve as proof of an individual’s status with the University. Depending on one’s status with the University, access and privileges are restricted based on specific requirements. All eligible employees, students and University-approved contracted personnel who have been issued a University ID card are required to provide the card when properly requested by an agent of the University.

If the person refuses to furnish the University ID card he/she will be removed from the building/premises and/or subject to disciplinary action. Each University ID card is the property of the University; anyone who alters or intentionally mutilates the University ID card, who uses the University ID card of another, or who allows his/her University ID card to be used by another is subject to disciplinary action.

If a card is lost or stolen it can be replaced at the University Service Center (UCOM Parkade) during regular hours of operation. A fee of $30 will be charged to the student’s account.

Wilkes University’s ID Card distribution point is located at the University Service Center, 1st Floor, 148 S. Main Street (UCOM Parkade).